The Electric Vehicle Industry Association is a national platform comprised of government departments and agencies, electric vehicle OEMs, electricity infrastructure and suppliers, Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment suppliers and ICT/smart grid service providers, as well as the users that aim to collaborate by utilizing a network of expertise to shape the future course of eMobility in South Africa.
EVIA was initially founded as the Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Association in 2013 by uYilo, SANEDI, BMW SA, NISSAN SA and GridCars. At the official launch conference in December 2016 EVIA evolved into the current Electric Vehicle Industry Association.
- Create a favorable environment to enable the use of clean mobility in South Africa
- Support the development of policy and regulatory frameworks
- Promote technologies for eMobility and sustainably integrate them into smart cities in South Africa
- Support the introduction of sustainable mobility into the urban transportation mix
- Create awareness of electric vehicles in South Africa
- Promote co-operation and trust amongst public-private sector
The uYilo eMobility Programme currently serves as the Secretariat of EVIA.